Monday 4 January 2021

Three principles I would like to start practicing in 2021


 "An idle's mind is a devil's workshop" - a quote my mom loves to remind me. Indeed.
 
Happy first day of work : >

Contracting dengue fever last month disrupted many of my year-end plans and staying at home, being unable to do anything for weeks led to some sort of mild cabin fever and a mini existential crisis. I'm being pretty melodramatic at this point but being sick really sucked :<

While I personally believe that the best time to work on personal goals - or any goals for that matter - is now, and not to wait 'til the New Year's, dengue struck me at such an apt timing I thought I should do one. 

 my new year's resolution is a personal topic on its own (and is still to be refined), here's a really short and sweet entry about three general key principles I would like to start practicing this year:

1) Focus
2 types of focus I would like to work on:
  • Focus when it comes to working on current tasks 
  • Focus when it comes to working on goals
Looking back at 2020, I could see myself paving away from things I've initially set out to do, moments that I felt like I was going through the motion and was constantly distracted by other frivolous tasks (what's new). I guess in some way how 2020 worked out was clearly unprecedented, this year in 2021, I hope to refocus on myself in a timely manner and gain clarity in my objectives, be it in my personal or professional life.

2) Patience
In the era of instant gratification and quick fixes, focus and patience can intertwined so deeply. Learning to trust the process especially when times get hard, accept mistakes and failures, learning to quit at the right time can be so much easier said than done, especially when things take time. It takes faith. As cliche as it sounds, life is not a sprint but a marathon. Perhaps there's a reason why millennials are labelled as the burned out generation.

3) Confidence
My definition of confidence here is self reassurance. Reassurance that I shouldn't be afraid to ask when I am unsure, insecure about my lack of knowledge and clarity in terms of sharing my train of thought (even if it is incorrect). I hope in some way I'll be able to become a listener, be more teachable and even more open to new perspectives.

Additionally, I want to try this out, the 1-3-5 to do list rule. I remembered a friend sending me this back in my university days on how to prioritise a to-do list, work pretty well for him. I thought I should try it too :) There are just way too many things I want to do and so little time..

Aite, time for bed, goodnight!




No comments:

Post a Comment