Sunday 28 January 2018

NUS Module Review AY 2017/2018 Semester 1

Modules taken: EC4880A, EC4307, EC4352, EC4305, HY1101E

I deeply apologise for the delay in response in the previous semester reviews in this as I was away for awhile end of last year and I hope my replies will still prove useful! I'll be able to reply promptly this day on so feel free to comment or drop me an email :)

In every semester, I consistently complain about how difficult it is and how it is the hardest semester yet and I believe my final semester as an undergraduate was the most trying of them all. Balancing with job applications for full time career opportunities, battling major rejections and taking up multiple extra curricular commitments alongside taking an overloaded 24MC semester pushed me to my limits both mentally and emotionally. (I recommend you guys to overload in the first few semesters and not in the final year)

Yet, I would say I made really awesome friends and also pushed my boundaries in both my critical thinking alongside my communication skills. While I would not say that it was something I would like to experience again, but it was indeed an extremely meaningful semester to reflect on.

At least I ended it off okay, academically. Not super okay but okay. You'll see why as you read, spoiler alert: did pretty badly this semester but here's how to avoid Abigail's mistakes. Apologises in advance if the content and structure seems pretty scattered, did this as quickly as a could.


EC4880A: Topics in Economics: Economics of Careers
Lecturer Aloysius SIOW

This module at the point when I was takin was cramped up into 5 weeks of the semester occurring 3 times a week in the evening, which was pretty exhausting but a huge sigh of relief when it ended haha. If you're looking for a new perspective of economic theories while looking for relevancy of surviving in the corporate world, this module is for you. Prof. Siow teaches a lot on how we as students can do well in the corporate world and controversies of the current academic curriculum to the working world. In which was a very refreshing perspective. There was almost no math at all and the finals are in essay/ case study format. 4 questions, put your thoughts. Workload was light relative to other honours modules. Til today, I have no idea what Prof. Siow is really looking for in the module but I guess for an honours module, it's really pretty slackish and fun to take.

Grade B

EC4307: Issues in Macroeconomics
Lecturer JO In Hwan

Very easy to understand module and Prof. Jo's content is quite light. Pretty slackish honours module but I don't really have the grade to compensate for it and here's why: we had a midterm during this semester that only allowed us one hour to finish in which obviously everyone was frantically rushing through it. Plus it was so freaking difficult, not only I say one okay. Unfortunately for me, I'm someone who has extremely low aptitude for MCQs and was unable to finish the open ended question (yea left like 15 minutes to do 2 open ended questions worth around 40 marks? *cries*) So eventually I quite badly for the midterm that consisted of 40% of the overall semester grade, in which was also the only differentiating factor for the students because the rest of the components were project work. However, I did enjoy the group project work alot, partly because I liked my project group mates and our country was Singapore so it was very relevant to us. I would not deter you from taking this module because honestly, I'm not a good gauge when it comes economic MCQs because I feel I am an outlier when it comes to 100% right and 100% wrong questions.  

Grade B-

EC4352: Singapore Economy: Practice and Policy
Lecturer CHIA Ngee Choon

I took this module only because it is a compulsory for my batch's graduating requirement. There were alot of really SMART double degree students in my class that semester because most of them were year 5s who needed to clear the module as well (this module was only offered this semester) and everyday felt like a reality check for me because everyone was so proactive and smart, like even their answers to Prof Chia's questions sounded as if they gave a full lecture of EC1101E? HAHA okay I sound like I am exaggerating but I am really not! Students and competition aside, I must say I really really enjoyed this module and Prof. Chia's teachings to Singapore policies and the economic outlook on questions of why Singapore's direction is what it is today. Though it's really pro-Singapore, it did give me a good understanding of different government bodies in Singapore. Extremely applicable if you're planning to pursue a role in the government sector. Oh yes, project work for this module is super heavy and very difficult (super?!), had no idea how many times my group tried to crack a solution to our projects. But presentations are super fun because the class is so interactive! Would recommend the mod if you like a form of challenge and relevance to government related roles. 

Grade A-

EC4305: Applied Econometrics
Lecturer LI Bingjing

4305 was a decently alright. Full projects based I didn't do so much of stata on my part of the projects because my group mates took the initiative to do it, so I did most of writing which also required alot of application work and understanding of the econometric tools. If you're looking to take applied economics modules, especially EC4398, I highly recommend you to take this module first in order to have a quicker understanding of the very intensive amount of required readings lol. This module was quite a bane to me though I really like understanding the econometrics behind research papers (that's why I always enjoyed econometrics) but because of how I put my job applications at a higher priority lol. It was hard to be consistent. Well, thank God it's over but I would hope to make it a point to relook at the econometrics methods taught in this module.

Grade B

HY1101E: Asia and the Modern World
Lecturer John SOLOMON, Bruce LOCKHART

I am someone who never liked history. In fact, I dropped this exposure module on my first semester as an FASS student because history is just so boring to me. I ironically took this exposure module again this semester because amongst the other humanities module, this had the least workload. I didn't expect much from HY1101e, with regards to my lack of passion and interest in this subject, but Prof. Lockhart and Solomon really brought out this burning passion of history from me. I'm not discrediting Prof. Solomon (he was also a very funny guy especially during globalisation lecture), but Prof. Lockhart is seriously on another level, I really loved his lectures and his very accurate pronunciations of the Chinese Language. I actually read the entire required readings because it was interesting, which was also btw very relevant, you can't really study the lectures if you don't read history in a story form. Definitely take this module if these lecturers are teaching. 

I would love to take more history modules but it was my final sem in NUS :P

Here's a tip, join the tutorial groups in which the prof is the TA. There's something about the history department grad students who become teaching assistants (TA) that suck the interest of history out of undergrads while further giving you a underwhelming grade just to say "good effort". Seriously.

Grade B+

Overall
SEP: 3.7 (lowest grade I've gotten in my FASS undergrad life)
CAP: 4.04 (Distinction)

Yea done with this maintaining cap and worrying about it every semester life :P

72 comments:

  1. This is really great work. Thank you for sharing such a good and useful information here in the blog for students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, that's really nice and I'm glad I'm presenting useful information as well :)!

      Delete
  2. Hi do you mind sharing your EC4305 and EC4880A materials with me? My email desmondliau1993@gmail.com
    Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with the same, sorry for the crazy delay in response! PM-ed!!!

      Delete
  3. Hello! Thanks for the very informative post. If it is possible, do you mind sharing your EC4305 materials, my email is seahjiexiang@gmail.com THANKS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry super late but PM-Ed 😆 thanks for your kind words, appreciate it :))!

      Delete
  4. Hi do you mind sharing your EC4305, EC4307 and EC4880A materials with me? My email is cherlenelim2@gmail.com Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi do you mind sharing your EC4307 materials with me at frolickingfields@gmail.com? thank you so much and for your informative post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!! DO you mind sharing your EC4305 notes :') Would really help a junior out, THANK YOUUUUU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chloe, share with me your email please I'll send it over :)

      Delete
  7. Hi, do you mind sharing your EC4305 notes? Thanks alot!!! :-) You can email me at vanessa_tan96@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, do you mind sharing your 4305 and 4307 materials? Your posts have been helpful and informative. My email is e0052499@u.nus.edu, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for your kind words Carrie! pm-ed :)

      Delete
  9. Hi do you mind sharing your EC4305, EC4307, EC4352 and EC4880A materials with me? My email yzquek97@gmail.com Thank you so so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi do you mind sharing your EC4305, EC4307 and EC4352 materials with me? My email is limjingwen96@gmail.com Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to know whether stata is the only choice for EC4305. Is any other programming tool allowed, such as R and Python?

    By the way, could you please share EC4305 material with me? My email is yuweichengnus@gmail.com
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, do you mind sharing your materials for EC4880A, EC4307 and EC4352. My email is danielwongdwg@gmail.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. hello do you mind sharing your materials for HY1101E? my email is e0420215@u.nus.edu

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. hi, do you mind sharing your HY1101E notes to hiplsfundme@gmail.com? would really help a junior out! tysm for the information btw :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello, do you mind sharing your EC4305 materials with me? My email is puppy_lq@hotmail.com
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. allow me to express my gratitude to the writer of this blog. I must admit it was helpful and looking forward to more info similar to this. In case you are looking for nursing dissertation writers then nursing dissertation help is a place to be. Get work done now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for this wonderful information looking forward for more the best inflatable hot tub with seats offers a practical and economical option to relax and enjoy a quiet and peaceful evening after a hard day at work or in the morning before tackling your day’s schedule. All from 2 Person Inflatable Hot Tub

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great info you have shared with us. Thumb up. If you are looking for help DNP ProJet Writers then with a hot deal to offer to you for great output free from plagiarism and delivered on a timely manner. Get high score with DNP Project Writers

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great piece of information looking forward for more. If you think you may have hard water and you are searching for an effective solution to deal with it, you can get the best water softener to take care of this issue. All from Best Water Softeners

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow congrat!! would you mind sharing some HY1101E materials like those for readings and group work/assignments. thanks!!! Planning to take this mod in next sem and need urgent advice! Thank u for helping a junior out:) my email is lukalokiluka@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! Sorry to bother, but do you mind sharing the materials for EC4880A, EC4352 and EC4305? It would mean so much to me (: Thanks for your time! my email is e0176311@u.nus.edu

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, thanks for these information! Do you mind sharing your EC4307, EC4305 and EC4880A materials with me? My email is e0203046@u.nus.edu. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, thanks for these information! Do you mind sharing your EC4307 materials with me? My email is e0203034@u.nus.edu. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello I have been following all your reviews since I started as a fresh grad. Would you mind sharing EC4352 materials with me? My email is ohyinghan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. HI I find your blog informative and interesting (including the 30 days challenge of sketchbook:)) ! I am planning to take some of the modules in the coming AY. Do you mind to share with me the materials of EC4305 and EC4307? My email is loohuibin@hotmail.com. Thank you !

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi!! would you mind sharing your ec4352 notes with me? jyseah98@gmail.com thank you so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi! Would you mind sharing your EC4307 material with me? Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello! please indicate your email in the comments so i can privately send the doc across to you :)

      Delete
    2. Hey! It's gpm1998@gmail.com, thanks!

      Delete
  28. Hello, thank you for your informative blog. Would you mind sending EC4305 materials to jillforyou123@gmail.com? THANK YOU:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thank you for your kind words:) pm-ed earlier!

      Delete
  29. Hey Nice article here. Allow me to point out that we are here to guide students with their CIPD certificate related queries and confusions. Students usually take assignment writing too hard on them and fret over it endlessly. If you are one of those students, sit back and relax as we are here! Our online writers provide their professional assistance to help students getting excellent grades to succeed in their academics. Read more on CIPD Assignment Writing Service

    ReplyDelete
  30. I couldn’t ignore the art of writing you have to ensure you deliver the best. If you are a student working on a paper that requires data analysis such as a statistical research project or a dissertation on the location of features and boundaries around the earth, the major challenge you are likely to face is getting a better understanding of the data and materials that you’ve gathered. Go ahead and reach out to us for SPSS Data Analysis

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, I managed to chance upon your blog on module review. It is really insightful! Are you able to share your notes for EC4307, EC4352, EC4305 to hodavid355@gmail.com? Thank you so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hello! Thank you so much for your reviews, it really helps alot! May I ask if you are willing to share your notes for EC4398, EC4352 and EC4305 to christislord18@gmail.com?

    ReplyDelete
  33. hi do you mind sharing your EC4307, EC4398 and EC4352 notes? my email is yufentyf@gmail.com. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi this article is really useful and insightful! do you mind sharing your EC4352 and EC4305 notes with me? My email is leonardtan97@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi! Thank you for the sharing. Do you mind sharing your notes for EC4352 and EC4305? My email is kuifi.lab@gmail.com

    Thank you in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, thank you for sharing! Do you mind sending over your notes for EC4352 at gpm1998@gmail.com? Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi there! Do you mind sharing your notes for EC4352? :) My email is e0323774@u.nus.edu ! Thank you in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, could you share with me your notes for EC4305, EC4307 and EC4880A? My email is e0420868@u.nus.edu ! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you so much for the reviews! Could you share with me your notes for EC4307? My email is e0323503@u.nus.edu Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This article has brought to an end my long internet search thank you. So what is GIS? It is a science, technology and method concerned with capturing, storing, manipulating and analyzing spatial and geographical data. So why do you need to buy GIS assignments? Since Geographic Information System encompasses wide technologies, methods and tools it is highly complex and so is its operations and applications; therefore, students need guidance when studying GIS. Because of the complexity of these assignments, its advisable to see GIS assignment help from us. Read more on GIS Assignment Help

    ReplyDelete
  42. Today, nursing is one of the most important courses in the health care field that is undertaken by many students because it facilitates the preservation of good health in society. Students undertaking a nursing course are required to write a nursing capstone project as an academic requirement before graduating. Do you need to Pay for Nursing Capstone ?

    ReplyDelete
  43. Win All Capsim Simulation Rounds with our astute and expert writers and earn the grades you deserve. Get Capsim Homework Help services from the best in the market.

    ReplyDelete
  44. We provide the best GIS homework help services in the market with the best rates

    ReplyDelete